|"Once again, we return."|
- "You know what else isn't fair? Dying before you're fourteen."
Minerva's incarnation was sometime in 2013. She moved into Valhalla with her parents, who started to profit financially from her newfound status as a god. For example, at Fantheon she sold personal blessings for £100 each, at her parents' behest. She was present when Brunhilde attacked Woden and used a miracle to push Brunhilde out of the way, seriously injuring her. Minerva was visibly shaken about this, and was comforted by Baal. She later visited Brunhilde in hospital.
After this incident, Minerva became extremely upset and bitter about her short life span. She also started to become suspicious about the events surrounding Lucifer's imprisonment and death, and questioned why Woden didn't make a cage for Lucifer when he was able to make one for Morrigan.
The night before Minerva's thirteenth birthday, her parents came to her bedroom to wish her goodnight, and laid out her schedule for the next day to a projected illusion of a sleeping Minerva. This included promotional appearances and a birthday party they were charging admission for. At the time, Minerva was sneaking down to see The Morrigan, who had promised her a secret present. The Morrigan told her the truth about Ananke's treachery and propensity for murder, turning Minerva against her. She then let The Morrigan out of her cage, and they ran into Baphomet, who had come to rescue Morrigan. Morrigan decided Minerva should go with them, but Minerva insisted they take her parents with them, delaying Baphomet's plan. They came face to face with the Valkyries and Baal, and a fight ensued. Persephone, who had been working with Baphomet, arrived and rescued them, taking them to the Underground.
They were joined there by Dionysus, who Minerva met for the first time. They discussed Ananke, and Minerva voiced her suspicions about Ananke's actions. However, they were joined by Minerva's owl, which led Baal, Sakhmet and Amaterasu directly to their location. A battle broke out and Minerva was taken away by Amaterasu back to Valhalla. Once there, Ananke murdered her parents in front of her and dragged her away to Woden's machine, where she prepared to sacrifice her. Her actions were interrupted, however, by the arrival of the rest of the gods, who united against Ananke and tied her up in Persephone's vines. Persephone, unable to contain her fury, killed Ananke in an act of brutal violence. They decided they would call it self-defence, though Minerva felt uncomfortable with lying.
Following these events, Minerva moved with Baal and Persephone into the Pantheon's new headquarters in the Shard. With her parents dead, Baal became her legal guardian. Minerva became wary about Baal and Persephone's newly established relationship and, in a display of protectiveness, warned Persephone not to hurt him. She also expressed resentment about being left to die by Amaterasu. She then appeared to be kidnapped by a shadowy creature Baal implied was the Great Darkness.
Minerva has short blonde hair, partially dyed red and put up in two buns, blue eyes and light skin. She formerly wore a red military jacket and large, round tinted glasses.Now, she seems to favor short pants, large t-shirts, and goggles. When performing, she wears a pair of owl-like wings.
Minerva previously followed Ananke's instructions and was comforted by her about her impending death. She later went against Ananke, having discovered that she had been deceiving them.
Of all the gods, Minerva is closest to Baal, who is very protective over her. Baal is now her guardian.
Minerva was exploited by her parents, who used her status as a god for financial gain. Despite this, Minerva seemed to care deeply for them, and was horrified when they were killed.
As Minerva learned more about the nature of Ananke's plans, she became closer to The Morrigan, eventually helping her escape and joining Persephone's side against Ananke.
Most of Minerva's abilities have yet to be shown, but some feats have been shown:
- High level of intelligence/intuitiveness: Given her status as a God of Wisdom, she has shown herself to be considerably intelligent, being able to see the flaws within Ananke's plans. The extent of this is still unknown.
- Force generation: She was shown have generated an extremely powerful force that crippled Brunhilde to the point of hospitalisation. The nature of this ability is unknown but it appears wind-based.
- Performance: She has been seen performing but the nature of her performances is relatively unknown.
- Owly - Minerva owns a robotic owl named Owly granted to her by Woden, which she insists is a "prototype Owlphone from a Silicon Roundabout start-up". It possesses various functions:
- Video recording and projection
- Imagery/hologram projection
- Teleportation; even to the Underground, something only underworld gods were thought to be able to do
- Pinpointing Minerva's location
- Flight via its mechanical wings
Minerva appeared in the 1920s Recurrence. She was one of the last four Jazz Age gods to die, killing herself in an explosion triggered jointly with the three other remaining gods, Baal, Susanoo, and Amaterasu, at Ananke's prompting.
Minerva appears to be based on the Roman goddess of wisdom.
- Minerva's costume is based on a theme of military-style uniforms in pop culture which have been worn by acts such as The Beatles, The Libertines, My Chemical Romance, Queen, and The Manic Street Preachers.
- Minerva's style is also inspired by Jason & The Argonauts.
- The 1920s Minerva is fashioned as a "French Revolution Shirley Temple."
- ↑ Issue 18
- ↑ Issue 4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Writer Notes: The Wicked + The Divine #4
- ↑ The Wicked + The Divine: Dress to Impress