|"Once again, we return."|
The Pantheon is the collective term for all of the gods of the current Recurrence. They are advised by Ananke. The members change with each Recurrence, and come from a variety of different cultures and religions. They appear to be able to switch genders between Recurrences.
The members of the current Pantheon are:
- The Morrigan/Badb/Anand
- Urdr, Verdandi and Skuld (The Norns)
- Persephone (Note: While Persephone appears during the 2010s Recurrence, she does not appear to be an official member of the Pantheon).
In the early days of the Pantheon, they were in constant battle with the forces of darkness. They always lost, except on one occasion, and this single victory indirectly caused the beginning of civilisation. However, once the saeculum was over, the next generation of gods returned ignorant, and lost as they had done before. They eventually won a second time, thousands of years later. They came to the decision that someone would need to stay to guide future gods, so Ananke agreed to give up her ability to inspire to assume this role. This resulted in her killing gods for thousands of years, presumably to stop the darkness.
This account of the Pantheon's history comes from Ananke, and so its accuracy is entirely dependent on her veracity. She claims that the Great Darkness has greatly halted progress, and without it, there would have been men on Mars thousands of years before the Roman Empire. It is not clear what, specifically, the forces of darkness are.
The primary role of the Pantheon is to inspire. As Amaterasu puts it, they "make life worth living, for an evening at a time". Each Pantheon tends to assume a role that is particularly influential for their generation; for example, the 2010s Pantheon are pop stars, and the 1830s Pantheon were Romantics. Nevertheless, their powers do not affect everyone, as in the case of Cassandra. According to Ananke, without the gods, the darkness returns.
Status and powersEdit
While the members of the Pantheon believe they are gods, Ananke claims she doesn't know for sure if they really are. Each god gains powers related to their identity and origin. They don't seem to remember their past lives.
- ↑ For example, Susanoo appeared during the 1920s Recurrence, but not during the 2010s Recurrence. Likewise, Baphomet did not appear before the 2010s Recurrence.
- ↑ E.g. Morrigan, Lucifer and Woden all switched genders between the 1830s and 2010s Recurrences.
- ↑ This is proven by the fact that Woden is able to trick Amaterasu into believing that her jewellery belonged to the 1920s Amaterasu.